Sunday, December 17, 2006

Darlene Bogle's new book and new life

If you've seen the movie, you know Darlene Bogle was an Exodus Ministry leader for 15 years and while doing one of her many public appearances as a "healed" lesbian, she fell fast and hard for a woman contemplating suicide to rid herself of the pain and judgment of the sterile christianity and homosexuality debate. Darlene wrote or contributed to many books during her Exodus years and during her 12 year relationship of bliss with this woman, she didn't write as her life partner, Des, made her promise not to be public as it would cause Des to be rejected by her family. It's amazing at no matter our age, we are still children, sometimes scared children, around our parents. Des developed breast cancer and passed way too early in life in February 2005. Darlene, through her grief and recovery of such a tragic loss of a best friend and spouse, has found expression once again in writing. She's finished her first draft of manuscript basically as a follow up to her book, A Long Road to Love. She wants to tell people where she's been for the past 12 years. She's sent Luane and I the manuscript and has asked us to write the Forward, which we are honored to do. Darlene is entertaining a variety of publishing opportunities and I can guarantee you we'll be letting you know first when it's available.

The book is incredibly personal and very touching. I've cried in several parts, sometimes from sadness and sometimes from gratitude. Sure, ask anyone who knows me and they'll tell you I cry rather easily...I'm rather sensitive but not in a wimpy way, I just really feel what other's go through and can't help but respond. For those keeping score, Mel White is also gifted with this trait, so I'm in good company.

Des had told Darlene that upon her death, she could tell Des' family and go public about their relationship so this book has Des' approval on it. Recently, Darlene visited Des' parents in southern California. Des' father is battling cancer and her mother has alzheimer's. Darlene brought the manuscript, told them what it was about and asked if they'd like to read it, to learn who their daughter was, as a whole human being, to really know their own daughter as a christian woman living out her life with the love of her life. Darlene basically saved Des' life from suicide and her parents had no idea. Here's what Darlene said of the meeting with Des' father:

"I spent a week in So. Calif. with Des's dad. I had taken a copy of the manuscript to give him an opportunity to read if he chose to do so. Des was right in her fears. He told me that he didn't agree with that "lifestyle" but he still loved me and loved Des, he just didn't want to read about it. Makes me sad because I think he could know more of his daughter's faith, not just her sexuality. I've left it in God's hands.
Her brother and his wife feel the same. I've felt a real coolness since I told them I was writing a book. I'm glad Des is in Heaven and doesn't have to experience the rejection. I'm wondering how folks can say they love you, but they don't want to know you? They can only love the "idea' of who and what you are. I guess there is still more to be done in educating the world!!"

We'll keep you in the loop on Darlene's book. Learn more about Darlene from our website.

No comments: