Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Luane's riding 100 miles in summer heat...why?

From previous posts, you'll remember Luane ran a marathon (that's 26 back-blowing miles...at once) two years ago with Team in Training which raises funds for Leukemia and Lymphoma research. This year, she's willing to put on very tight pants with a pad in the butt and ride 100 miles (all at once) in summer heat through the mountains of Lake Tahoe, CA to do the Team in Training Century Ride. Our baby Jordan and myself will be there to cheer her on.

We need your help to raise $2500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Donate now online at: http://pages.teamintraining.org/sj/ambbr09/lbeck

Since Luane's marathon, a 40-year old teacher of the two boys she helped raise was diagnosed with leukemia and is currently desperately seeking a bone marrow match to stay alive (know anyone who's German and Native American?). She has a husband, she has kids and a life she'd like to live. Luane, who's German but not Native American, couldn't just not do anything.

We're asking for your donation and support for Luane, the teacher, and the thousands of others touched by the disease. Every bit helps so to donate: http://pages.teamintraining.org/sj/ambbr09/lbeck

Meet someone who's alive today because of people giving to Team in Training...below is also a very inspiring story written by Luane's training coach, who's also a cancer survivor.

We all have a story.........Here is part of mine!
Even though I don't like the limelight, I am involved in Team in Training because I do feel that it brings awareness and hope to those that now meet face to face with cancer. All of us will encounter a love done with this deadly disease some day. But, as we become educated, the fearthat cancer carries with it is tackled, and hope is born! With hope comesaction. We can then take steps towards contributing to something greater than ourselves. I truly believe that the greatest satisfaction is not only challenging ourselves to overcome life's many steep mental and physical climbs, but to share the gift of life that each of us holds. Through my surviving Hodgkin's Lymphoma, I want to show that life after chemo, life after radiation, life after spinal cord damage...... is life as we make it. I admit, I still have the fears of a shortened life due to chemotherapy poisoning, a destroyed thyroid and heart damage, but I am not going to let it slow me down. "Life is short" they say, but a childhood friend once told me why *he* did not fear death: he said "it is the lastthing I will ever do, so why worry now?!" Clever. I try and live by thatmotto. With my involvement in Team in Training, I hope in my own way that Ican help give those that will be diagnosed with cancer the same great odds that I have been given. At the same time, helping individuals attain their fitness goals and take on a daunting challenge such as a 100 mile bike ride, gives me immeasurable joy. I have seen so many lives changed! This change happens to those that look fear straight in the eyes, use the resources available to them and then never look back as they work hard to the end. A person's goal is never met in a solo effort however! It is always a team effort. This is the philosophy that Team In Training promotes, and I believe in.

Thank you for your support,

Mike

We all appreciate anything you can give: http://pages.teamintraining.org/sj/ambbr09/lbeck

Thank you for...being you and for being in our lives.

Kim Clark

No comments: